Genalife in Lockdown, Bonus Post

 Back at the start of August, when I started searching for George Galbraith, I didn't know the journey it would take me on and what I would find. Since Family History Month is over, I've continued my research and now can tie things up neatly.


Firstly:

 Andrew Galbraith, Samuel and Margaret's fifth son. You can read about him here; Andrew Galbraith   Now what I have found is that Andrew did go to Australia, arriving in Adelaide on 20 September 1878 on board the Largo Bay, with 363 other Scottish Immigrants. From newspaper articles in the Kapunda Herald, South Australia Register and the South Australian Advertiser, they were 'eagerly-expected' and they all found work, very quickly.

I haven't found much more on Andrew, so I don't know what he did BUT on Monday 14 August 1893, page 4 of the Evening Journal had a notice asking if anyone knew where  Andrew was as a solicitor in Ayr, Scotland was looking for him. It also mentioned that he was employed by the Mounted Police, Adelaide, (still looking into that). I then found his 'will' on Scotland's People, with him being declared dead, 'on or about the 21st day of November 1893 as found by a judgement of the Court of Sessions of the "Presumption of Life Limitation (Scotland) Act 1891" of date 9 November 1895' It would appear that Andrew disappeared. Another mystery to solve, maybe.

Secondly:

Janet Galbraith was Samuel and Margaret's first daughter. You can read about her here; Janet Galbraith

But I did Janet and  George an injustice. Janet didn't have a son named George Galbraith Gray. The George Galbraith, listed on the 1881 Scottish census was THE George Galbraith I was looking for. So I've removed George from Janet and Roberts' tree.

Thirdly:

George Galbraith, THAT elusive George. You can read about him here George Galbraith

From what I've discovered, since I wrote the posts both Samuel and George went to Ayr and stayed with their Grandmother Margaret Galbraith. They both had jobs and it is there that I think George died 1884 and is why he is buried with his Grandparents.

I think I've got this family neat and tidy, for a time anyway, but it has been fun researching them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek