George Johnston Fairweather

 In July, this year, I had several days away in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, in the town of Bowral and like all good genealogists, I went for a wander in the cemetery and found this grave.




Interesting!  I searched  Trove and found five articles about George's death. Ancestry was next and I found his enlistment details.

George Johnston Fairweather was born 1838 in New Brunswick, Canada  and enlisted on the Union side, 15 June 1861 in Maine, as a Private. His unit was Company A,  4th Infantry. After nearly three years, George Musters Out, he deserted!

Reading where he fought, I can understand why he deserted, they weren't little battles.

Searching several online databases, yield few results and add nothing to my research.

George's death is covered in several paper, like the;  Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative (NSW : 1890 - 1954) Thursday 20 August 1908Page 25.


Two of the papers give a detailed account of the Coroner's Inquiry. 

Ancestry give his parents as Benjamin Fairweather and Margaret Currie, but I haven't check this, myself.

Questions remain. Why did a Canadian lad enlist in the American Civil War? When did he arrive in Australia?

I'm using this post a bait, in the hope that someone might let me know more about George.


 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek