A Bit of a Problem

 I'm undertaking a One-Place Study, of the Roman Catholic Cemetery, Range Road, Mummell. I've set a time period of 100 years, from 1852 to 1952, found 39 deaths in that timeframe, buried there. Well I thought there were 39, then it became 38 and now today it COULD be 37.

My Problem.

16 December 1893, James McAleer died, he was buried 17 December 1893. Now here is where it gets confusing. I have four different transcripts of his headstone and a photo of the headstone, and they all say he was buried in Mummell R.C. Cemetery.

BUT, 

His death certificate, the book of burials I have  and his obituary all say Crookwell.

I've yet to physically walk around the cemetery, to check the records but the photo is from the local family and historical society, so it should be correct. The other details, on the headstone regarding his wife Eliza, are all correct.

A problem that will require some more researching and the asking of interesting questions, like; "Was he really buried in Crookwell and his name added to the headstone of his wife?"  Are there two James McAleer's dying on the same day, in the same place and being buried on the same day?" Even to me that one seems very far fetched as I'm sure it would have made the local paper.

Confused? Yes, I am!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek