Does your house have a name?

 Before house were given numbers, they often  had names and this makes me ask, "Did your house have a name?"

My husband, Paul,  grew up in the same house that his mother, Edna Sigrist,  did and it had the name "Bodalla."  The reason behind this name was that Christopher Fredrick SIGRIST (1858-1919)  had worked in the small country town, on the far south coast of New South Wales, to pay of his bankruptcy. Christopher was Edna's grandfather and Paul's great-grandfather.


Fairmount Street, Lakemba.



I grew-up in Arncliffe, in a very tiny street, with only six houses, four on the odd side and two on the even side. In researching on Trove I have found that the house was named "Aberdeen," but I don't remember seeing any mention of it.



The veranda tiles at Arncliffe.

In 2014 Paul and I started renovations on our home, with the view that they would be finished before Paul retired in 2015. They were and it was then that we thought of giving the house a name.



We settled on,






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek