Adding Twigs and Leaves, Part 3
When last I posted I had ordered Susan's birth certificate and John's death certificate.
They arrived and I eagerly read the birth certificate, only to realise, the civil registration didn't start until 1855. Susan was born in 1854, hence it is only a baptismal records and no siblings are shown. It was good to check.
John's death certificate was good, with all the details filled out, all the dates work out but there is no mention of the ship he arrived on even though it is on his admission entry. More searching to be done. What was interesting was the note at the bottom I certify that this body was removed to medical school 14 May 1914 (statement was crossed out.) I had seen other references to his body going to Sydney University but it must have been given back as there is a burial date of 22 August 1914, for John on the certificate.
While the certificates gave some answers, there are still questions that need answers, so the search continues.
Thomas was the next child I was working on and while he hasn't been difficult there is a mystery of his marriage. I could find no record of a marriage for Thomas, but several online trees have him married to a Jane Rowley, nee Onslow.
I can find no record of any marriage in either NSW or Victoria between Jane Rowley, nee Onslow after the death of John Rowley in 1856. Some trees have 1867 in Bendigo, Victoria. I have also searched in Queensland, with no result. Searches using Onslow have only yielded Jane's marriage to John Rowley.
Jane died 17 January 1909 in Yule Street, Petersham, aged 80 and her death notice reads Widow of John Rowley, of Liverpool, and relict of the late Thomas Donald. (Sydney Morning Herald, 19 January 1909, p6)
Thomas' death notice in the Sydney Morning Herald, 13 May 1885, does not mention Jane.
Leaving that for the moment.
Now I know that some online trees are works of fiction, some are just a collection of name and then sometimes you get a good one. I was on FamilySearch searching for my Donalds' and found a tree that matched the information that I had confirmed, myself. Eleven documented children, I have the same. Same five year gap between Agnes 1837, and James 1842, leaving the possibility of at may be two more children.
So, I've made a decision to work on the 11 confirmed children, adding their facts to WeAre.xyz and updating this blog and to continue searching for the tree 'missing' children. (I know that they might have been stillborn and as such not baptised, but my grandmother had a still born and added it to the next children's birth certifiactes, so...)
The first George is done, only a small entry for him. There wasn't much between the 'dash'.
On to Agnes.
Comments
Post a Comment