July Research

 July's research was going really well and then I decided to expand the branches I was researching. 

I originally started the month looking for more information on the family of Mary Ann Abberton and John McLaughlin. They had six children, Sarah, Elizabeth, John, Eveline, Stanley and Francis. 

Francis caused the first problem, when several trees had him as a her! Francis is the masculine form and Frances is the female form. Francis is very much a male. His marriage also gave me some confusion as there were two Francis McLaughlin's married between 1923 and 1925. Much digging and the purchase of a death certificate gave me the correct marriage, 1925.

Sarah was next to cause problems, she married a SMITH and according to some people died in 1906. Well thankfully for me Sarah married Oswald Smith and I was able to trace them. The death was for a different Sarah Smith, I'm still looking for my one.

The other children were easy to research and I've been able to add more lines to the tree.

This was when I went, 'let's do the other sisters!'

Theresa Mary Abberton and her husband George Henry Tunks were next up. I have their three daughters on the tree and set about finding marriages etc. for them. This went well until I found George's death notice and several articles in newspapers on Trove.

George had collapsed and died, in front of his wife and a daughter while walking home. The papers all said his wife, SON and three daughters survived him. SON! What son?  Now I've seen several online trees with them having a son, George born 1902 but a search of the NSW birth records show a son born to George and Jessie in 1902 at Bourke. Further searching of Trove lead to the Government Gazettes and George's posting to Bourke around that time. I've ordered George's death certificate to check the children listed. I'm also wondering if there has been a mistake in the transcription, giving the wrong mothers name?

The next two sisters, Frances Maria Abberton and her husband James Pell and Honorah Abberton and husband Francis Carroll will be on going research because of the restrictions on births to 100 years.

I did clear up a mystery with Honorah and Francis Carroll. I had made a note about a child, Leopold Thomas Carroll, born 1889, died 17 October 1917, asking  'who is he?' Looking at his date of death, I searched the Australian War Memorial website and found him on the Roll of Honour. Further digging and I found his war record, giving next-of-kin and addresses. It was their son. I now know who he is.

August will be more on my husband's side ( have to be fair) and it could be interesting. Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Two New Australian Authors.