Looking at an old Post Card

 


When my in-laws passed away I inherited a collection of old postcards, over the next few weeks, I'm going to share some of them with you and the information I found.


Vessels in Distress, Ulladulla, 1912. 

This photo made me curious as to when this had happened. Using Trove, I searched for 'vessels in distress, Ulladulla' and was (pardon the pun), swamped with results. Narrow the search was a good idea and I found several articles about what I think are these two vessels.

If my research is correct they are, closest to shore the Seagull and further out the Bellbownie/Behborrie Bellbownie/Behborrie was a steamer and the Seagull was a small tender.

This small article describes what happened.


Hobart Daily Post (1908-1918), Friday 26 July 1912, p5.

I then turned my attention to who had taken the photo. On the back was, 'Issued by H.C. Blackburn, Storekeeper, Milton.'
I found that Henry C Blackburn died Friday 27 July 1923 at the home of his daughter Mrs D Briggs. He was 79 years old and had been a storekeeper at Milton for 55 years. He also had three sons, Harry, Ernest and Eric, all living at Milton. (Daily Telegraph, Monday 30 July 1923.)

I don't know if he did take the photo but a search of Trove did turnup others that he had taken.

It certainly reads like a severe storm hit Ulladulla that day!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek