Galway

Well Big Crosby got it wrong! The sun does not go down on Galway Bay, it goes down behind a hill!
Galway Bay.


Arrived in Dublin, on Monday and due to the infrequency of trains to Galway City, had to take a car. It was a lovely journey, on the motorway, even in the pouring rain, in parts, but that's Ireland! My hotel was in Salthill, right on Galway Bay and the view was lovely. I went for a walk, after dinner then organised myself for my trip Ballinakill, with the hope of finding something about my ancestors. It was a beautiful journey, through the emerald green countryside. Yes, the roads are only one lane, with passing areas and the fields are divided with dry stone walls, (no mortar used).

First stop was the Catholic church, in Ballinakill, right time frame but I am now starting to doubt that it was the correct one. Found the Historical society, in Woodford and they seem to think that the Abbertons' came from Abbey. Confused, so am I!  Searched several cemeteries, with no luck. Nothing concrete found but the Historical society, took my details.

The Catholic Church.


Wednesday was my day to explore Galway City. A quick stop at An Post, to send a parcel and I set off. I had marked my map, with what I wanted to see and found much more. Eyre Shopping Center has part of the old city wall, in it. Amazing. It was built around 1240 AD.
Part of the wall.


Then the square, itself, with its water feature, designed to replicate an old fishing boat and the Browne doorway.  He was a merchant in the city. This is what is left of his house, built in 1627.

The water feature.

Browne's door and window.

From there I strolled past many fine buildings, crossed the River Corrib and went to Galway Cathedral. This building surprised me, as it looks very old but it was only opened in 1965. Made from Galway limestone and Connemara sepia marble. The seats are made from Utile mahogany from West
Africa.
The River Corrib, looking towards the bay.

Galway Cathedral.


I continued my stroll, beside the River Corrib, towards the Spanish Arch, one of four built to protect Spanish merchant ships. Along the Long Walk, this is a row of pretty houses, with different coloured
fronts.
Spanish Arch. 


Back to my hotel and I took a very long walk, along the seafront, past the golf course and caravan park and turned and walked back along the main road.

Thursday I went back to Woodford but nothing came from it.

Went to Trad on the Prom, a traditional Irish show, of music, song and dance. I really enjoyed it.

Friday, I took the train to Dublin, for my next part of my Irish journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek