Finding Family

(names have been changed, for privacy.)

Thirty-four years ago, I started this crazy, exciting, sometimes frustrating genealogy journey. This is part of that journey and one I am thrilled to have taken.

My Dad, Matthew A, had been married and had three children, before he was widowed and then re-married, to my Mum.  Those three children have been a big part of my research, for most of that time. (They were all adults, when he re-married and I never met them.)

During the 1980's I did meet the husband, Trevor, of one of the daughters, Patricia and two of their children, Kyle and Tess. I was then told that there were three other children, Maggie, Trevor Jnr and Alice, but they had been adopted out.  I spent many hours searching for them but being in the 'present', had no luck.

Fast forward to November 2018 and the Society of Australian Genealogists, Lost in DNA weekend. Jill Ball said to me, you need to do an Ancestry DNA test, before you go to Birmingham, you will find more family.'  I did and in December got my results. Happy with them but so many had no trees.

Late January I hit 200 matches, with a lady, Sally Brown, with no tree. I don't know why I contacted her but boy am I thrilled, that I did.

I sent off a short, chatty message, listing my surnames and waited.

Reply came in. 'I think A is the one we are connected on, as Dad was adopted.' I was floored and replied, 'was he a baby or toddler, when he was adopted?'  Sally quickly replied, 'toddler. His Mum was Patricia A." I had found one of the 'missing' children!

Sally and I quickly switched to emails and they flew through cyber space, almost daily, as we sorted out the strength of our connection.

I discovered that all three children were adopted. Maggie and Trevor Jnr, together and Alice by another family. That all three were still living, I had been told that Maggie had died.  Sally and I organised a get together, roughly half-way between our homes.

Yesterday, eight 'new' family members and Paul and I met in a park, hugged, talked, cried and tried to make sense of what had gone on. Some answers we will never know, some we might find out but the best bit is my 'new family' are lovely people and I'm thrilled to have met them. We spent most of the day, together and have formed small connections, that we can build on.

A wonderful way to spend International Genealogy Day!

Comments

  1. What a wonderful story Lilian. Years of research welll rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect way to spend the Genealogy Day. Congrats on 'finding' (and meeting) your new family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beaurtiful reward for you on a special day

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek