#GenealogySelfieDay A DNA Discovery



Today is #GenealogySelfieDay and this is my second photo. Like Shelley Crawford said, 'If only I could participate in genealogy selfie day without actually posting a selfie.'  I fully agree with this statement!  The idea was to take a selfie and then write a blog. Here I am.

I have been 'doing' my family tree for 34 years, last month and about two or three years into it, I met children of a half-sister. She was from dad's first marriage.  It transpired that she had given several children up for adoption. The children I met wanted me to look for them and while I could have done so, I felt it better if they searched for the siblings.  I heard nothing more.

Fast Forward, to Wednesday 29 January 2019.  I have only just done my Ancestry DNA and ther are still matches coming through.   I also made a decision to skip over those, without trees and concentrate on the ones, with trees, first.  On Wednesday morning I hit 200 matches, a second cousin, with NO tree.  I don't know what compelled me to contact her but I did. A short chatty message, listing the main surnames on my tree. A reply came in ********* is on my tree but as dad was adopted, we aren't sure.  I asked a question, about his age, at the adoption, she replied about 3 or 4, his mother was ******* *********. I froze, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, I had found the son, of my half-sister.  More questions and answers flew, between us, checking and confirming information, we both had. We have now arranged to meet up in March, halfway between our two homes.

The spooky thin is,  29 January was the birth date of  this chap's dad. Coincidence, I don't think so.

Lesson learned, check even those without trees.

Bye for now,
Lilian


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek