Lost in DNA Weekend Part 2.

Sunday morning dawned grey and cool but nothing would keep intreped genealogists returning to the conference centre, for more DNA talks.

I woke early, as is my habit and went for a walk along the forshore of Darling Harbour.


This was my view and in amongst the trees, at the back of the photo I spotted this.
I'm now on a quest to find out what is it about.


The building, opposite my hotel has a very interesting design.



 Early morning, on Sydney Harbour. Goat Island is to the right, the yellow shed and Bald's Head, is in the distance,

Sunrise was peaking through the clouds and buildings as I made my way back to the hotel and to get organised for the day.

Day two of our "Lost In' weekend had the room filling earlier than on Saturday, as we were all aeger to learn more.


Heather Garnsey was today's chair and she also gave a short talk on how she broke one of her brick walls, using DNA, but did it?  

Louise Coakley was our first speaker, of the day, with the important topic of, The ethics of DNA testing. Things such as informed consent,  privacy, risks and how owns your DNA? You do.

Sandra Gamble was next with how to use Third Party Tools, such as triangulation, Gedmatch.  I know I have so much to learn about using DNA to find family but talks, like this help.

After morning tea, Louise presented Chomosome mapping and DNA painter, and my head started to spin! I had heard of DNA painter but didn't know how it worked, well after this talk I'm going to have ago, because the two ladies and myself, below are all cousins. Pam, the red-head and I have Mary Torphy as our common ancestor and Jo, the blonde, has Michael Torphy, Mayr's brother, as her ancestor.
Three cousins together.
It will be interesting to know how much we share.


After lunch we had a webinar, from Diahan Southard and she took us Behind the Curtain. Explaining that there is more to your DNA results than what is displayed.  Something to explore.

The last two talks, of the weekend, were on how to organise and analyse your data. Veronica Williams spoke about Genome Mate Pro, something I haven't heard of.

Danielle Lautrec, talked about using Excel spreadsheets to organise your information.
So I've uploaded my matches to an Excel spreadsheet.

A fantastic weekend. Lots of information, lots of chat, connections and food. I'm looking forward to trying out tips and hints I discoverd, this weekend.

Now, if you aren't a member of the Society of Austalian Genealogists, JOIN!  You don't have to be in Sydney to reap the benefits, as we had people from interstate and overseas, attend this weekend. Plus as a member you get to listen to the webinars, get the journal, Descent and can access the Society's holdings.

Bye for now,
Lilian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek