April 18 O is for Onomatopoeia



                                                              ONOMATOPOEIA


Onomatopoeia is when words suggest the thing or action, that they represent. Words like  buzz, crash, sizzle, plop, moo or hiss.

The word Onomatopoeia comes from the Greek onoma, meaning name and poiein, to make.

Edgar Allan Poe's,  (1809 - 1849), poem The Bells, is a good example.

"Keeping time, time, time,
In a sort of Runic rhyme,
To the tintinnabulation that musically wells
From the bells, bells, bells."

This poem is four stanza's in length and this piece is from the first stanza.  Published 1849.
Tintinnabulation, means the ringing or sounding of bells.

Bye for now,
Lilian


Comments

  1. I had never heard that word, Onomatopoeia before. Thanks
    I'm pretty sure I know what Tintinnabulation is, I have it in my ear 24/7! (Tinnitus)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to learn about Onomatopoeia in our English classes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek