A - Z Blogging Challenge U is for Ursula.


Ursula

Another letter where I have no-one having a name start with it. On checking my book I found only seven names listed as starting with U. These being Ulysses, Una, Unity, Urban, Uriah, Uriel and Ursula and there weren't many people listed as having those names. I'm starting to feel sorry for the letter U.

The name is an adoption of the Latin name, itself a diminutive of ursa meaning she-bear. In the 4th century there was a St Ursula. Shakespeare, in two of his plays, Two Gentlemen of Verona (1592-3) and Much Ado About Nothing (1598), give the name to attendants of main characters.

Ursula Andress, a Swiss-born US actress is the only one in the list that I think we would know.

A search on the internet came up with about 20, 17 of which are strange, so poor U.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek