A-Z Blogging Challenge D is for Darjeeling


                                                             Darjeeling.


Now you might think that Darjeeling is a good name for tea but on my family tree I have two Darjeelings.
The first is an Aunt, who married  my Uncle Fred and the second is their  daughter, Darjeeling, who only lived a few days.

So where does the name come from?  I looked in my names book, with no success, so I've turned to the internet to see what I can find.

This is what I found, but I'm not sure it could apply to a name;

The name 'Darjeeling'came from the Tibetan words,'dorje'meaning thunderbolt (originally the scepter of Indra) and 'ling'a place or land, hence 'the land of the thunderbolt'. A land-mark year in the History of Darjeeling was 1835, but it would be appropriate to trace its History before that.

It comes from this website  Darjeeling   

While Wikipedia also gives an interesting history of the place History

This still doesn't help me with the name. Searching the first 10 pages of my Google search, yielded only one reference to Darjeeling as a name and this was a surname.

I'm stumped! Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Maybe Auntie Darjeeling's parents spent time in India and liked the tea?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek