A -Z Blogging Challenge G is for Georgina.


Georgina.

I had to look hard for a name starting with G, hanging on the trees and finally found that one of my husband's cousins had named their daughter Georgina.

So, my trusty book tells me that Georgina is the feminine form of George and has been in regular use from the 18th century, with it being originally favoured in Scotland. In the US the form Georgia is preferred

Georgie and Gina are diminutives that can be used but Gina is now also used as a first name.

Famous Georgina's are;
Georgina Haig, Australian actress,
Georgina Sweet, Australian zoologist,
Georgina Mace, British scientist.

 

Comments

  1. The origin of names has always appealed to me and Christian names as an A-Z topic is appealing as the posts can be quite short. But my family names are so ordinary and repetitive, they would not make interesting reading - lots of Anne’s, Elizabeth’s and Jane’s, John’s, and Henry’’s. I have three ancestors with the name Jennet which I think is lovely, but you never hear it these days. At school in the 1950s there were two Georgina’s in my class, but we didn’t seem to shorten it at all. I have heard of Gina/Tina used as a diminutive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek