A - Z Blogging Challenge I is for Iris


Iris.

I don't know what you think of when you hear the word iris, but I think of the flowering bulb but I don't know what my husband's late aunt and my late sister-in-law would think about that.


In Greek mythology Iris was the goddess of the rainbow and that is the meaning of the name. Another of the plant names that became popular in the late 19th century, it has now fallen from favour.

So who were famous ladies named Iris, 
 Iris Williams, a Welsh singer, 
Iris Murdoch a UK novelist 
and Iris Holland, an American politician, to name a few.
 


My 700th Post!

Comments

  1. Flower names seemed to be popular in the UK in the early 20th century. My mother’s great friend was called Iris; and my husband’s mother was Ivy and her sisters Violet and Lily.










    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These flower names seem to be having a comeback. I know of a young Violet and a Rose, several Lilys but no Iris ....yet.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek