A-Z Blogging Challenge F is for Finis


                                                                     Finis

I have Finis on my tree, being my Dad's cousin but using my book I find it isn't there. Once more I turn to the internet to see what I can find and both have different places of origin.

The name Finis is of French origin.

The meaning of Finis is "finished".

fi-nis, fin-is ] The baby boy name Finis is pronounced as FIHN-ihS- †. Finis' origin is Latin. Finismeaning is end. ... Finis is rare as a baby name for boys. At the modest peak of its usage in 1901, 0.010% of baby boys were named Finis

Interesting, as my Finis was the last of six children maybe my great-aunt had a sense of humour and said, enough! Causing the baby boy to be called Finis.


Two links

1

2

Comments

  1. I had an ancestor who named her 13th child Relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would almost seem to be a jinx to name a child Finis in case they died, but I guess they wanted no more children. Finis is what we never achieve as family historians...always more to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek