Glanville Graves, at Berrara

Back in 1976, I had my first holiday at Berrara, a sleepy holiday spot some 8kms from Sussex Inlet. Boarded by the Conjola National Park, it was a perfect place to take our young family. I might add that my in-laws owned the cottage, so we were carrying on the family tradition. 

Walking around the area I discovered a small and at that stage unfenced  cemetery, just of the path and close to the bush. I wondered who they were and how come the cemetery was there but didn't think anything more about them, other than to visit on my walk.


Fast forward to 2020, the year of  Covid-19 and travel was very restricted but come September we were able to get some time away and this prompted a visit to Berrara and a visit to the graves, armed with a camera. I was going to see who they were.





This is the cemetery, now. It is very close to the bush and it and the homes were saved from the bushfires of 2019/20.


These two Harrison graves had be searching for their marriage, and in 1942 (24679/1942) Henry Vincent married May Wilhelmine. (looking at the plaque, May wasn't born a Glanville, see Henry Albert, below) 



As we can see from the two Johnson graves, Doris was a "Berrara Girl",  a quick search gave me the details that she had been born Doris Glanville and had married Tom in 1939. With The Shoalhaven News reporting both  the Kitchen Tea (24 May 1939, page 4) and the Wedding (31 May 1939, page 15) I think Doris is the last person to be buried here.




Norman and Betty are another couple buried in this small cemetery. They married in 1949 (200324/1949)



Henry was born to Daniel and Eliza in 1878 (23200/1878) and in 1918 married May Wilhelmina Hoffman (11565/1918).  When Henry died in 1940, May in 1942 married Vin Harrison.

While the grave is marked, the writing has gone, so the person is unknown.



Looking from the cemetery towards the bush.

There could be more buried there, unmarked. I have tried to find who set it up and when but the local history society doesn't know. I might keep looking.


Comments

  1. Both Daniel Glanville and Eliza Glanville my great grandparents are both buried there in what would be the NW corner Daniel under a large Coastal Mahogany tree and Eliza next to him. ted_glanville@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe George Glanville is also there, he would be a brother of Daniel. Quite a few of these people were cremated and so the memorials are from where ashes were laid. What kind of local history society doesn't know about the Pioneers who first settled? Obviously no locals involved

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek