My Congress 2018, Days 1 and 2.

At 10.00am on Friday 9 March 2018, at the International Convention Centre (ICC), Darling Harbour, the 15th Australasian Congress on Genealogy and Heraldry, began, with three concurrent sessions. And the choices were difficult, with a very varied range of topics.

A1, was my first choice, with Jill Ball's Beaut Blogs: ideas for tarting up Geneablogs. What a fantastic session it was! Jill has such enthusiasm, for blogging that she really engaged her audience, especially as she used some parts of other bloggers, blogs.
                                                                   Jill Ball.

This was followed by a break and a chance to catch-up with friends, there only for the day.

Back into the room and I attended the talk from the National Archives of Australia about Linking the Obscure. Very interesting, lots of useful information.

Lunch and a quick dash outside for a photo of those, who are doing or have done the University of Tasmania course, then I filled in on the Guild of One Name studies stand. This gave me time to meet new people, chat with old friends and relax, but not for long.

The last session for Friday, that I did was on Convict Records, Tas, NSW and WA by Dr Dianne Snowden. Another very informative session, with heaps to absorb. Now to apply it to my research.

This session was followd by the Welcome Function & Opening Ceremony. It was the best Welcome to Country that I have heard. Martyn Killion hosted the event and Bernhardt Dopplenganger, the Congress 'mascot' made an appearance, very funny. High Tea was served, after this event and the noise level was exceptionally high! It was then of to the food hall at Harbourside, where we took over several long tables and continued to talk.
                                                          Bernhardt Dopplenganger.

So ended Day 1.

8.45am was today's starting time but a sleep in saw Ruth and I rock up at 9.15am, in time to hear Judy G Russell give her wonderful presentation, Just Three Generations. Having heard some of it before I wasn't disapointed to hear it again, as I learnt new things from it.

A delicious morning tea followd and then I chaired my first session, Dr Dianne Snowden's, Becoming a professional genealogist. Dr Snowden opened the floor to a discussion and the topics covered, various groups, training and help that is avaliable for those wishing to persue this as a professional. I found this very useful and will look into some of the groups.

I took time to help-out on the GoONs stand, eat my lunch and relax.



Three more sessions, filled in the rest of the day. Angela Phippen, spoke on checking the original. Something we should always try and do. Paul Milner, gave us a history lesson on English Research in the 17th Century. Not back that far, yet. Kerry Farmer ended my day with a very informative talk on DNA: a modern tool to solve historical puzzles. I am finally getting a handle on this DNA capper!

                                                               Paul Milner.

Onto the lightrail and a mad dash to get ready for the Congress Dinner. (Its own post)

Information overload, yes! Am I enjoying it YES!

                                           Lee-Ann Hamilton, myself and Alona Tester.

Bye for now,
Lilian.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek