Pondering My Status as an Australian.

(very tongue in cheek.)

There has been an on going discussion, in the Australian Parliament as to wether several members are really Australian citizens or by descent something else, entirely. This got me thinking; Am I really an Aussie? Could I really be a Pom?!  Let me explain.

My Dad, Matthew, was born in The Colony of New South Wales, in October  1896, (yes that is correct). Making him a British Subject.

Now  as I was born, pre 1983, I fell into a sort of grey area.

This is from Wikipedia and is as confusing as anything, because you have to know which of the Acts, you are covered under. Now I was born AFTER 1948.

Australia retained the status of British subject until the Australian Citizenship Amendment Act 1984 removed Part II of the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 effective on 1 May 1987. Between 1 January 1983 and 1 May 1987 a British citizen and an Australian citizen were both British subjects under Australian law, but not under United Kingdom law.[6] (my highlight) The term encompassed all citizens of countries listed in the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948. The list was based on, but was not identical with, those countries (and their colonies) that were members of the Commonwealth from time to time. The list was amended from time to time as various former colonies became independent countries, but the list in the Act was not necessarily up-to-date as far as to constitute exactly a list of countries in the Commonwealth at any given time. This definition of British subject meant that, for the purposes of Australian nationality law, citizens of countries that had become republics, such as India, were grouped as British subjects. "British subjects" ceased to be eligible to be issued with Australian passports under Australian nationality law in 1984. The voting rights of persons who were British subjects and were enrolled to vote on 25 January 1984 have been preserved.[7][8] As at June 2009, almost 163,000 voters have a "British subject" notation on the electoral roll.[9]


I went to the Australian National Archives site http://guides.naa.gov.au/citizenship/chapter1/citizenship-australia.aspx

and the opening sentence says; "Citizenship in Australia has a complex and confusing history." 

Great, what is a girl to do?

I thought, right, I'll go to the British Government site; https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality/british-subject

The opening section, reads; "5. British subject
Until 1949, nearly everyone with a close connection to the United Kingdom was called a ‘British subject’.
All citizens of Commonwealth countries were British subjects until January 1983."
Now I am confused? Aussie or Pom???
So I have worked out my own Citizenship test;
1) Do you like Vegemite?   YES.
2) Do you know the second verse of Advance Australia Fair? YES.
3) Have you ever made ANZAC biscuits and/or Lamingtons? YES, to both.
4) Do you know what thongs are?  YES, something you wear on your feet.
5) What is the Great Australian Salute? Waving the flies away, with your hand.
6) Do you know the words to God Save the Queen?  NO.
7) What does the expression, 'on the turps' mean? A person has been drinking, a lot.
8) What race stops the nation on the first Tuesday in November? The Melbourne Cup.
9) Where or what is the Coat hanger?  Sydney, it is the Harbour Bridge.
10) In cricket Australia or England?  AUSTRALIA!
Think I passed. 
Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie.
Bye for now,
Lilian.


                                                                       Dad and I.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek