March Research

 As I mentioned in my Previous Post I've been pruning ancestors. This month is it the Cameron branch.

On my tree I have Ann Cameron, baptised 21 October 1827, to Alexander Cameron (1799-1879) and Ann Lamond (c1799-1885), or so I thought.  Alexander did marry Ann Lamond but AFTER, Anne b 1827 was born.  Now there is nothing wrong with that except Ann L ISN'T Ann C's mother. 

READ ALL THE INFORMATION ON OUR DOCUMENTS.

I'll get back to the marriage, after this.

On Anne C's death certificate* NO parents are listed, likewise on her marriage certificate*. I do have her baptismal  certificate* and it states that Alexander Cameron had is daughter Ann baptised on 21 October 1827, in the Parish of Lochbroom. (No mothers were listed on Old Parochial Registers. The indexes on Scotland's People are being updated to include the mother's name.)

Searching Scotland's People I find four other children for Alexander from 1822 to 1830, all in Lochbroom BUT the mother is listed as Margaret. This is my confusion. 

Going back through my documents I find an Old Parochial Register marriage entry for Alexander Cameron and Margaret McDonald in 1822* in Lochbroom. 

Then I find a marriage for Alexander Cameron to Anne Lamond in 1841*. 

What happened to Margaret? Still searching BUT on Alexander's death certificate*, it states, Married to Ann Lamond, previously to Margaret Macdonald. His parents are listed as Kenneth Cameron and Ann Davidson, but I have been unable to confirm this as I can't find a marriage. I do have a copy of an Old Parish Register of births for an Alexander Cameron born 17 November 1799 to John Cameron and Janet McKenzie in Lochbroom.* Still looking for their marriage but the month isn't over, yet.

For Margaret Macdonald, I found an Old Parish Register birth on 24 August 1899, to Rory Macdonald and Ann Innes, in Lochbroom.* Still searching for their marriage, too.

So as it stands the tree is Alexander Cameron and Margaret Macdonald,

Issue, 

Janet b 1822 (075. 20/7) Lochbroom.

Lexy B 1824 (075. 20/11) Lochbroom.

Mary b 1826 (075. 20.16) Lochbroom.

Ann b 1827 (075. 20/19) Lochbroom.

John b 1830 (075. 20/26) Lochbroom.

So it pays to really read the documents you have and to be open to the possibility that you have made a mistake. 

While it is a work-in-progress, I fell confident that this time I have the correct parents.

Certificate details.

Ann. Death, Victoria, Australia 12114/1913.

Ann. Marriage, Victoria, Australia 2286/1850.

Ann. Baptism, Scotland's People, OPR, 075, 20/19, Lochbroom.

Alexander and Margaret. Marriage, Scotland's People, OPR, 075, 20/28, Lochbroom.

Alexander and Ann. Marriage, Scotland's People, OPR,  075, 20/110, Lochbroom.

Alexander. Death, Scotland's People, Register of Deaths, 10/1879, Lochbroom.

Alexander. Birth, Scotland's People, OPR, 075, 10/27, Lochbroom.

Margaret. Birth, Scotland's People, OPR, 075, 10/45, Lochbroom.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek