Breaking the 'Connection'

 

In my two previous posts, Sorting out Henrys and Ann(e)s and My Interesting Nicolls/Nicholls Line, I’ve talked about Henry and his first wife Elizabeth. This post will expand them some more.

In the original post I mention that on Henry’s death certificate, (4257/1866) it states 6 males and 2 females living. Having added Henry George to the tree, I now have 5 males and 1 female, living. One male and one female from his second marriage, the others from the first marriage. Searching has given me a possible male, born 1840 and a female, born 1854 but I’m still looking for the full details and will leave them alone.

Adding Henry George to the tree, gave me a new line to follow, to expand what I already knew. I had found seven children, this now expanded to 12, with 11 being alive when he died in 1912, a son pre-deceased him.

So, Henry and Anne, having married in 1863 (1900/1863), have Sarah Ann b1864, William Joseph b 1866, Henry George b 1868, d 1880, Elizabeth Jane b 1871, Margaret Emily b 1873, Christina b 1875, Clarice Matilda (Clara) b 1878, Jessie Eveline b 1880, George Albert b 1883, Martha Emma, (k/a Emma) b 1887, Isabella Ivy May b 1890 and Henry b 1901. Places of registration still vary, as does the use of George, sometimes as just G, others George and even as his given name.

Then there is the spelling of Nicolls, or Nicols, or Nicholls, or Nichols, that I no longer worry about how they spelt it, only the details.

Now Henry and Anne have Christina as seen in this family tree from Relatives at RootsTech. This is where the ‘connection’ comes from.



In 1896 Christina marries Joseph J P Daly in Young NSW, (8483/1896) and this is where is becomes interesting.

Searching NSW Birth, Deaths and Marriages, I find 16 children born to Joseph and Christina Daly between 1897 and 1922, but none are Richard born 1926. Okay, he won’t show up as it’s in the 100-year block out. Looking closely at the births I find several in the same year, i.e. 1914, in two different places. There are also differences in the initials after both Joseph and Christinas’ names. Some have Joseph with J P and other with C. Then Christina has D.

Have I got two different Joseph and Christinas’?  

The answer is yes. Searching through Trove I found a death of a Christina Dorothy Daly in 1953,  widow of the late Joseph Cecil Daly, this also mentions her brother Jack Schruhm, from there I find a marriage and sorted out the children.

This is where the ‘connection’ comes from, but alas not mine and even then, the connection isn't a Daly either.

Well it was fun to have a paternal 'connection', while it lasted!

Comments

  1. Important to get the details right. The NSW indexes are a little frustrating in their lack of detail but the intitials obviously helped. Newspaper notices are so useful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek