Glasgow.

I'm still making my mind up about Glasgow. I liked seeing the main city area but to me it lacks the history of Edinburgh and the warmth as well.

I arrived early Saturday morning, by train. An amazing trip 45 minutes to go from Edinburgh to Glasgow, only three stops, on the fast train. By 10.00am I was in my hotel room. I then had a full day to explore and 22,000+ steps later, I had explored.


This interesting clock, was near my hotel.

Hiding the carpark.

Council building and War Memorial.

Clyde River.



Walking to the main shopping area, I walked down to the Clyde River. There were very few people around, nothing happening on the water, it looked forlorn. I crossed the footbridge, to explore the other side and when a man came out of the hotel swearing, I went back across the bridge.  I also explored around the three universities, near my hotel but again very few people around. Also checked out several shopping malls.

Sunday was a day exploring Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond. A beautiful warm day, with sunshine and some cloud, and not a full bus, made the trip great. 

Stirling Castle isn't as imposing as Edinburgh Castle but it was still important, in the defense of Scotland. Queen Ann's Garden was beautiful, with an array of flowers.  The main buildings were impressive and interesting. The King's Bedchamber, was were he saw important people, he slept in a much smaller room, strange. Likewise for the Queen. The Chapel was spartan, with no stained glass.
Stirling Castle

Queen Ann's Garden.


Loch Lomond was very pretty. I didn't do the 35 minute walk but paddled and then took the bus back to the meeting point, brought an ice cream and walked back to the junction, about a 10 minute walk. Lovely views.




Last stop was a whisky distillery. Interesting but even 12 year old whisky couldn't convert me.


I also saw Hairy Coos!


Monday was wet but before it rained I saw the Glasgow Necropolis and the Glasgow Cathedral both were beautiful. The Necropolis is built on a hill and has a heard of deer. I didn't see them, as the men were mowing.
Part of the Necropolis.




Glasgow Cathedral is impressive and steeped in history. Loved it.

Comments

  1. I prefer Edinburgh over Glasgow but I think mostly because that was the "toon" for our family. The east end of Glasgow is steeped in history. And the people really do make Glasgow. They are honest, raw and funny as all get out. Unfortunately, most of the old historic buildings in Glasgow have been torn down or replaced, so it doesn't have the same charm as Edinburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that the Edinburgh propaganda of "Glasgow's got no history" has worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, it wasn't that. I can't explain my feelings of not feeling 'safe', I suppose. Nothing happened but I supposed disapointed might be a better description.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek