Edinburgh

I arrived in Edinburgh, on Tuesday and haven't stopped! Edinburgh has cobblestones AND hills. I you go down the hill, somewhere you must come up the hill, even on a different street!

There are statues, around the city called Orr Wullie, they will be auctioned, for the Edinburgh Children's Hospital. I think it is a great way to get people to explore the city, running groups, do find the Wullies, such fun. There are 60 in the Edinburgh area and I've managed to photograph 19 and have seen another, to make 20.



Doing this I have seen the Scottish Parliament Building, with what looks like sticks, on the outside.

Arthur's Seat a massive hill, that is part of the volcano, that Edinburgh Castle sits on, but it is a distance away.

The Palace of Holyrood, but not close enough for a photo.

Churches, interesting buildings and quaint closes.

I did a bus tour, on Wednesday, that showed us the sights of Edinburgh, so I knew what to go and look at. After that I went to Leith, where the Royal Yacht, Britannia is moored.  Very impressive and I really enjoyed the tour.

Thursday I did a two hour walking tour of The Royal Mile, actually it is a bit longer, but mile sounded better. We didn't go to the bottom, where the parliament sits, but just past Canongate and then we weaved our way to the Castle. The tour, inside the Castle was amazing. Our guide left us there and we could explore on our own. I went back to the ticket office and swapped one entry for another, the one that gave me afternoon tea. I admire those, who perform, at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, those cobblestones and the steepness of the hill would make it very difficult, for them.

Friday I did the Borders and Hadrian's Wall.  It was freezing, when he stopped the bus at the boarder and told us to get off. So cold, I could see my breath. This boarder was marked by a stone, Scotland written on one side, England on the other. After photos we were thrilled to be back on the warm bus.


Before this, we stopped at Jedburgh, a Royal Burgh. There was a ruined abbey, to visit but you saw just as much, with out paying to go in.
Jedburgh Abbey.


Our stop, at Hadrian's Wall, was on a bleak, windy hillside but was very interesting. From there we went to  Vindolanda  a Roman fort and settlement, from  between 74  and 85. We had two hours to explore and have lunch.
Hadrian's Wall.

Vindolanda.


We came back into Scotland, along the highway and then the scenic way, through Moffat and a stop at The Butchers Bucket, amazing views here.
The Ram of Moffat.

Part of the amazing boarder scenery.


My time in Edinburgh finishes, when I take the train to Glasgow, tomorrow. Edinburgh is an amazing city and I loved exploring just part of it.

I hope you are enjoying my trip posts?
Bye,
Lilian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek