Colonial Secretary Index, 1788 - 1825

http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/  I have never looked at these and I really don't know why. Christine Yeats had a Facebook post about unemployment records for Sydney in 1866 and how you could search them. I did and didn't find anyone, that is okay as I don't think that I had anyone in Sydney, just then.

I then went browsing through the site and 'discovered' the Colonial Secretary Index, 1788-1825 and has a play. Wow, it is amazing and while it is only an index, it has a lot of detail. You can search for a surname or subject, using the search box at the bottom of the page. This does a whole text search. You can also search by clicking on a letter of the alphabet and getting the list of what is under that letter. This is divided into sections, click on the one you want and then scroll through, until you locate the one you want.

Depending on what you are after, you can get a few entries or many. You get the person's name, a date of the item, with a brief description and then the reel number. You then need to make a visit to the archives, at Kingswood and see the information for yourself.

While I didn't find anything new, this index has opened up another avenue to explore.

Bye for now,
Lilian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek