Genealogy Day 3

After Monday's effort I was inspired to do more. Off to Officeworks, on Tuesday and I picked up two packets of suspension files, dividers, sticky labels, 'in tray' (for my desk to hold all the paper that gets on it) and some more sleeve protectors. Now to do some really serious filing!

I took each file out, one at a time and really sorted through them. Did I really need five copies of a document that I had on the computer? No, into the recycling bin. I sorted as I worked and now have the family files all the same colour and marked as to what is in each one. I found documents that should have been entered onto the data base and filed, they are now done. Photos not in their albums and lots of scraps of paper, not dated, no idea where the  information came from. Some I re-checked and filed some were tossed.

Today I tackled the photo drawer and I copied 20 CD's of photos to an external  hard drive and will now give my daughter the box of  CD's for safe keeping. I also 'found' four DC's of documents and maps that I had requested from the Australian War Memorial and the National Library. I uploaded them and can now use them.

Only one drawer left to do and it is tidy as it is but I will still go through it and check. The new paper tray as a bundle in it that I am slowly working through.

I have also spent time doing some serious research and have found documents and articles that have been very helpful. Trove has been fun and it is so easy to get side-tracked by someone not related to you.  trove.nla.gov.au/    Have a look and it is free!


http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/index.html   This is another free site and is the AIF Database. Easy to use.

Might sort through some more in the paper tray, might go to bed and read.

Bye
Lilian
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek