Cemetery Wanderings.

 I went looking for some family graves, at Rookwood Cemetery, this morning and as one does, I found an interesting one and have done some research on this poor person.

       George HALSE, died 8 September 1900.

George was injured in an explosion on Spectacle Island, in the ordnance depot..

Now I hadn't heard about this island, so that was my first search, using Google Maps. Spectacle Island is situated in Sydney Harbour, near Cockatoo Island.  You can read about the island here, Spectacle Island

But I was more concerned about George and onto Trove I went and the articles paint a gruesome picture.

This article tells what happened. 

Daily Telegraph, Monday 10 September 1900, Page 6.

This article is the inquest.
Evening News, Tuesday 11 September 1900, Page 4.

George is buried in the Royal Navy Section, Rookwood, DD_Zone B/#/568, far from is birth place in England.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek