RootsTech 2020 Part Two

This year I stayed at the hotel, opposite the Salt Palace, so it was just a very short walk, to get there.

My day started with an interview for My Heritage on how I use it and what I like about it. I then went to Lisa A Alzo's talk on 25 Hacks for genealogy.  Very useful information.

                                          Looking into the Vendor Hall as it is being set-up.

Next I  went to Rob Hamilton's talk on Freemasonry, a subject I know nothing about. I don't have any Masons but this talk was very informative.

Sylvia Valentine was next with her talk about Scottish records. I always learn something new, when I hear Sylvia speak, as her talks are so well researched.

At 4.30pm there was the Opening Ceremony  of RootsTech and a look back over the previous 10 years and how it evolved. I was asked if I would be at the ceremony and when I said yes was asked to met one of the organisers by the main door. There were several of us and we were taken to allocated seats. During the ceremony, we were singled out and each won prizes. Mine was four DNA Kits and I was thrilled.

After the ceremony was over the Vendor Hall was opened, for the first time. Jennie and I managed to get what we wanted but it was Youth Night and they were out in force and the place was packed. It wasn't safe, so we left.

Thursday was busy with four talks, a more civilised visit to the Vendor Hall, catching up with friends and see what was on offer.

My first talk was the Psychology of Searching, with Dr Penny Walters. Not what I expected but still interesting. I then went to a session on German records before going to Sylvia's next Scottish talk. Both of these talks gave me more ideas on what I should be looking for. Last talk for the day was with Thomas MacEntee on Google Forms for Genealogists. Not something I had thought about using, I found it very interesting and Thomas is such an excellent speaker.



                                                          Vendor Hall.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek