Books I use, September 2019

Something a bit different, this month.

I read a review for, "Murder, Misadventure & Miserable Ends. Tales from a Colonial Coroner's Court." by Catie Gilchrist and went, 'got to read this one'.

The book is about Henry Shiell, Sydney City Coroner from 1866 to 1899. The book looks at the seedy side of Colonial Sydney, with its seedy streets, dangerous industries and few safety regulations. As the blurb says, "any death that was sudden or suspicious would be invistigated by the coroner."

There is a photo of Bondi Beach and until I read the caption, I didn't think that it was Bondi Beach, as it is isolated.

This book gives a good look at what Sydney was like in the 19th Century and as such has allowed me a glimpse of what life was like for my ancestors.

An interesting read, for both the dark side of the city and for a look as to what life was like then.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek