INVICTUS GAMES 2018 For Our Wounded Warriors Part 1.

For three days this week I have been privileged to watch some amazing athletes from 18 counteries. But I digress, as I should first explain what the Invictus Games are.

The Invictus Games are the brainchild of HRH The Duke of Sussex, back when he was a serving member of the British Forces, in Afghasistan. He speaks of returning to Britian, by plane, with several critically injured servicemen and the body of a Danish soldier. He later saw the Warrior Games in the USA and from there the idea was born.

This link explains it better.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invictus_Games


This link is to the Australian games site. https://www.invictusgames2018.org/the-games/

(Just a note all sports have been adapted due to special needs of the competitors. These are explained on the website.)

Tuesday 23 October and my daughter and I had tickets for the medal rounds of  Sitting Volleyball. Walking from the P1 parking to the Quaycentre was a hike, (yes I know check the map, before parking,) we soaked up the atmoshpere and shared hi5's and hugs with competitors from different teams.  Once inside the atmosphere was wonderful, it didn't matter what counrty you were from, everyone yelled and cheered for all the teams. The players, themselves are amazing! I watched a man walk in, sit down and them remove both legs. My head told me, yes they are disabled or ill, but until I saw it ...
I was very humbled.

We had a demonstration match between Denmark and Canada, with Denmark winning. HRH Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark was there.
                                                  The Danish and Canadian teams.

The Bronze Medal round was between Estonia and Poland, with Estonia winning.

                                                  Estonia, blue and Poland, red.

The Gold Medal round was between Georgia and the United Kingom, with Georgia winning Gold and the United Kingdom, Silver.

There was a medal ceremony but no national anthem was played. We asked a Georgian official, why this was and in his broken English, was told we are all equal, so no anthem. There is also no medal tally.

Wednesday 24 October and having learnt my lesson, we parked close to the Aquatic Centre. I swim and as a child did competition but these amazing men and women put me to shame. There is an English competitor, Mark Ormrod, who swims like a fish. He only has one arm. We have Sonya Newman and Garry Robinson, both amputees, who were brilliant.

Sonya Newman, after being presented with her Gold Medal.

Mark Ormrod, red shirt and Garry Robinson. after their race/


What I found, was that you were cheering just as loud, for the person, who finished last as you were for the person, who won. Swimmers, would often swim back down the pool, to encourage the slower ones and the mateship was beautiful to see. Again medals were presented and no anthems played.

More in my next post.

Bye for now,
Lilian.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek