Researching Abroad, Day Two

Today it was all about Scottish, Irish and a bit of English records, wonderfully presented by Chris Paton. Chris is a professional genealogists, author, international speaker and a good bloke. Born in Northern Ireland, he now lives in Scotland.
Chris, busy writing.

Chris and I.

                                                    Chris, in presenter mode.
Chris presented four fantastic talks, starting with A beginner's guide to British and Irish genealogy. Now I don't class myself as a beginner but it is always great to revisit things and have them refreshed in your memory. You might also learn something new, I know I did. Chris gave an overview of important dates and while I had read about them, hearing them explained, made it gel.

Discover Scottish Church records was next and I feel that I'm finally getting an understanding of what happened in Scotland and why there mightn't be any records.

His next two talks were about Irish records, one dealing with online records, good for me as I don't see atrip to Ireland happening, soon. The next one was on land records and again, whilst I had read about the different divisions, having it explained made it sink in.

Heather from SAG, gave an overview of what we can find in their collections and how to access them.

Eric Kopittke presented the My Heritage talk, as Rosemary had a sore throat.


Living DNA had a short video on how they do their DNA tests, great as I am waiting on my results.

Dinner ended the day and it was good to sit and chat. Thank you to Alan Phillips, from Unlock The Past and Gould Genealogy for organising the two days.


Kay, from Teapot Genealogy.



The Gould Genealogy stall.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great two days. I'm really looking forward to it heading to Adelaide next week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek