Accentuate the Positive.


  Every year Jill Ball prompts us to.  Accentuate the Positive 

I read the prompts, this year and didn't think I had much to contribute but reading other bloggers posts reminded me of things I had done. I've left some blank but that could change.


1. I got the most joy from, not having to rush anywhere. Still had meetings but without the stress of driving to them or going on public transport and from having time to spread out the paperwork and not have to tidy it up until I was done with it.

 

2. The Covid situation gave me an opportunity to, tidy up my genealogical book shelves. I now have all the books, referring to countries, together, not spread over three shelves. All the books on writing, together and the research books, also together. So much easier to find them.

 

3. I managed to attend a face to face event at, I did, in February, get to the New South Wales Archives, exciting to get there. Also in May, the Botany Bay Family History Society had their Open Day and it was great to catch up with other members.

 

4. My main focus this year was on My Mother’s paternal side. I’ve been researching, with the focus on writing a book but I’ve had so much fun finding out about the family. A book will happen.

 

5. A new piece of technology or skill I mastered was, being able to print photos from my phone, as well as uploading them to the computer.

 

6. A geneasurprise I received was

 

7.  A Facebook Group that helped me was

 

8. My 2021 social media post that I was particularly proud of was ‘Researching in the 21st Century. Would you go back to the ‘old’ ways?’  The link is here.  21st Century Research.


9.  A new genealogy/history book I enjoyed was, A Handbook of Dates. For students of British history. Edited by C.R. Cheney. Revised by Michael Jones. Everything you wanted to know about dates, from Rulers of England and regnal years, Easter styles, Lists of Popes and much more. I also read Nathan Dylan-Goodwin’s new Morton Farrier book, The Foundlings and Tony Knight’s first book Another Day in Paradise.

 

10. I was impressed by, (prompted by another post).  How well presenters have adapted their presentations to the Zoom and other platforms. Having presented this year, I know it's hard without being able to see people's faces.  



11.  A great journal or newspaper article I found was. I found I had more time to read journals from the societies I belong to and my two subscriptions. I also read WDYTYA, from my local library as a digital download. I think that the articles were all well researched, well presented, and informative.

 

12. I got the most value from this subscription, I subscribe to several sites and this year, I used them most days. With client research and my own research, I was able to do more than if I hadn’t had them.

 

13. I progressed my DNA research with, not so much progressed but a lot of checking, verifying, and trying to find connections. Slow, steady work.

 

14.I meet a geminate, in Melbourne, just before Christmas. Kristy Love and I were, finally able to have lunch together, with me being allowed to enter Victoria. It was wonderful to get together.

 

15.  A blog post that taught me something new was, I read many blog posts and enjoyed them. Judy G Russell, the Legal Genealogist , always writes interesting and informative posts. I can hear Judy's voice as I read them. Have a look here Legal Genealogist



16. A DNA discovery I made was, a new match of 378cM, turned out to be a new 1st cousin 1x removed. I was able to tell him is Grandparent’s names as he didn’t know.


17. A newly found family member shared



18. I finally found ......... six feet under, I know Andrew Galbraith is dead but where and when remains the mystery. Maybe in 2022, I'll solve it.



19. I splashed out and purchased, a new printer, when after being fixed the old one died.  A lovely A3, photo quality one. It turned out to be the model that replaced the now dead one.


20. Another positive I would like to share is the wonderful friendships that we as a genealogical community have. The help, kind words, quirky comments and laughs have made lockdowns more bearable and have been much appreciated.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek