Accentuate the Positive 2020

 Jill Ball started this years ago and as 2020 has been a challenging year, I though I'd have a look back on what has happened. While Covid-19 curtailed face-to-face meetings, technology has enabled us to stay in touch, attend meetings or just catch up, so enjoy my Accentuate the Positive for 2020.


1) An elusive ancestor I found was, none this year. I mostly added new information, to the ones I have, as I’ve spent a large amount of time researching.

 

  2)   A great newspaper article I found was, I’ve explored more of the wonders of Trove, whilst looking for information for clients and my own blogs. You find the most interesting things just by turning the pages.

 

   3) A geneajourney I took was to Salt Lake City and RootsTech. There I did research in the Family History Library, attended informative lectures, caught up with friends, made new ones and won four  DNA kits from the major companies.

 

   4) An important record I found was a copy of the pardon for the ship Maitland on which my ancestor Simon Grant sailed. Public Records Office of Victoria, Notifications of Pardons of Exiles. Series VRPS 89, Consignment Number P0000, Unit Number 1. Description, Maitland. Date 1846.

 

    5) A newly found family member shared

 

   6) A geneasurprise I received was, working out exactly where my 731cM DNA match fitted into my tree. Surprised, not really.

 

      7)  My 2020 blog post I was particularly proud of was, actually there are two, both were university assignments. The first was called ‘Simon McKenzie or McKay an Exile’, his is my Simon Grant, you can read about him here  SimonGrant

 

The second on was called ‘Finding Henry Vaughan.' I had always maintained that my Henry Vaughan wasn’t a convict but doing my university course, I was forced to reconsider, you can read about him here. Henry Vaughan

 

     8)   I made a new genimate who?  I was introduced to Roberta Estes by Pat Richley-Erickson at RootsTech.  Roberta is but a genealogist and quilter. Have a look at her website DNA EXplain

 

     9)  A new piece of technology I mastered, (as did most of the world), has been Zoom. With the pandemic keeping us close to home, Zoom has been away of keeping our meetings going, staying in touch with both family and friends.

 

 10)  I joined, Ireland Reaching Out and Roots Ireland.

 

    11)  A genealogy event from which I learnt something new, while I did go to RootsTech and enjoyed the lectures there, I think I have learnt new and interesting things from most of the online lectures I’ve listened to.

  

    12) A blogpost that taught me something new was, 

 

   13) A DNA discovery I made was, see 6) as I worked out how my 731cM match was related to me.

 

   14) I taught a genimate to, I’ve done a few Zoom talks on how to use Ancestry for the Coffee ‘n’ Chat group I run.

 

   15) A brick wall I demolished was, see 6) and 13).

 

    16) A great site I visited was  Prosecution Project

 

      17) A new genealogy/history book I enjoyed was by Diahan Southard, called your DNA guide the book. Easy to read, it is the book I used to work out how that 731cM match was related to me.

 

      18) It was exciting to finally meet 

  

      19) I am excited for 2021 because, I don't know. Today, 24 December 2020, with the pandemic still raging in some countries, slowing in others and here in New South Wales, we are locked-out of the rest of Australia, due an increase in cases, it is hard to be excited.

 

      20) Another positive I would like to share is, the connections, that belonging to the Genealogy Family bring. Quick messages, posts asking for help, sharing news, all make this journey a wonderful experience, especially this year as the pandemic has curtailed travel and meetings, for all. Technology has kept us together.

 




Comments

  1. Thanks for the reminder Lilian and being so quick off the mark. I will post the 2020 challenge after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek