Books I Use, December 2019

Unlocking Land: A Guide to Crown Land Records held at State Archives NSW, by Terry Kass.

I have just finished three weeks of classes, held by the Botany Bay Family History Society, to which I belong, on land records.  This book was mentioned and I decided to purchase a copy.  I will say I haven't read it, fully, (yet),but have used it to help with information I needed.

The book has 13 chapters and each chapter as several sections. Terry gives an extensive bibliography, in Chapter 12 and Chapter 13 has the New South Wales Record Series (NRS) List, to help you find the correct record to search.

Good clear examples are given of the different reords, you might come across, some with a step by step guide as to how to search them.

So if you want to explore the area, your ancestors lived in or look for the land they owned or even find out more about the plot you live on, try searching the NSW State Archives, find a copy of Terry's book to help decipher the records and uncover some interesting details.

I have found, in the Colonial Secretary's Papers, the original grant of land, for my ancestors farm, not to them but the original owner. Now to trace what he did with it and find when my ancestors purchased it.

NSW State Records

Happy searching,
Lilian.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek