My DNA Results and what they mean to me.




Way back in October 2013, I took my first DNA test, with FamilyTree DNA and wasn't surprised by the results. In fact I was disappointed, until friends explained that it confirmed my paper trail.

Ethnicity Estimate,

British Isles    87%
Scandinavia    10%
Trace                 3%

Nothing happened until RootsTech 2017 and a new testing company, LivingDNA, came on the scene. So in May 2017, I again scraped my cheek and sent it of for testing.  Again I wasn't really that surprised with the results.

Ethnicity Estimate,

Europe             98.8%
Central Asia       1.2%

February 2018, saw me take a test with MyHeritage, only to find that both FamilyTree DNA and MyHeritage use the same testing company. Something I wish I had known before I tested. My results weren't that different.

Ethnicity Estimate,

Europe      100%    This was broken down into;
North and Western Europe   82.6%
Irish, Scottish, Welsh           60.4%
Scandinavia                          22.2%
Eastern Europe                     17.4%

Finally in December 2018, I took an Ancestry DNA test and again the results were similar to the other tests, I've taken.

Ethnicity Estimate,

Ireland and Scotland         56%
England, Wales,
Northwestern Europe        41%
Sweden                                3%

Now I know each company looks at different markers and have different algorithms, to work things out. I also have a good paper trail for my 14 of my 16 great-great grandparents, so why does it bother my that several of the companies, say Munster Province for my Irish ancestors, when my paper trail, says, Co. Galway,  Connaught Province?

It is puzzling, to say the least.

So do I take a different approach to see if I can find it they moved around? Or did Galway once belong to Munster and had a boundary shift?   Questions, more questions!

I'm thrilled with the connections, I've made and the new cousins I've met, something that might have taken longer, without DNA.

Here are the links to the four companies, I used.

https://my.livingdna.com/

https://www.myheritage.com/

https://www.familytreedna.com/

https://www.ancestry.com.au/

Happy Researching,
Lilian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek